Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Can I take your order?

I've always thought I learned a lot about my current career during my days as a young waitress at Bob Evans. Basically, people don't like to be kept waiting, they appreciate when you are nice to them and they expect you to get them what they want. I used to have nightmares about having tables of people that I forgot about. On occasion, I have similar dreams about patients being left in the exam room while I run late. Ironically, now I spend lots of time counseling about the side effects of the products I used to push: country fried steak and french silk pie. I may not wear a blue apron and dowdy clip-on tie anymore, but I still have to provide plenty of customer service. And as a chocolate heart, I can find it hard to say no to things that seem like no big deal "on the streets."

Stuff for which people have requested I write medical orders:
A snack
A release from wearing her bra (she had shingles...and bras are required by the department of corrections...although wearing two bras does not require an order)
A lower bunk bed
A release from a previous lower bunk bed restriction
An extra pillow and blanket (for a prison aerobic teacher with an injured meniscus)
To cancel her "Pueblo healthy living diet" and then to reorder the diet (by the same offender in the same week)
An order to move back to a living unit close to the "chow hall" (for her bad arthritis)
An order to prohibit working more than 4 hrs/day
An order to get rid of the fruit cocktail on a diabetic food tray
An EKG for my boss who was having chest pain

No comments:

Post a Comment