Monday, December 13, 2010

Livin' La Vida Pueblo

While working in Pueblo four days a week might not have been exactly what I had in mind for my first job in Colorado, I am enjoying it. Who wouldn't love a piping hot Belgian waffle every morning? And who wouldn't want to drive 2 hrs south on Monday morning at 5:30 am to enjoy one? Ok, probably next to no one. The delightful waffles are the high point of the Pueblo breakfast as the case may be. Tomorrow is "Dress Down and Breakfast Burrito Day," and you can be sure I have pre-ordered my breakfast burrito. They apparently come with something called "Pueblo green chili," a local treat I am eager to try. I asked someone how the prison guards could dress down and was informed they can wear jeans with their prison uniform shirts. (Furthermore, I got a mass email stating, "you may dress down but you still must act like a professional." Thanks for the clarification.) I will be sticking to dress clothes.


My evenings in Pueblo are simple, but I really haven't gotten too bored. Between trips to Target and the Dollar Tree, the treadmill, knitting projects, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, and dinners with a few new nurse friends, I have managed to stay occupied. One night I came upon this sign outside the La Quinta conference room:


I peeked in the class room and saw a big "Join the NRA Today!" poster. Although I didn't attend that time, you never know after a few more months in Pueblo...A nurse reminded me last week that "this is a red state." I reminded her that I moved to the blue part.

Pueblo's major employers historically were the steel mill and the state mental hospital, formerly known as Colorado State Insane Asylum, established in 1879. A city of about 100,000, Pueblo boasts a downtown River Walk and two Walmarts! If that wasn't exciting enough, I am pleased to let you know it is located in a "banana belt," which is a region that enjoys warmer weather than the surrounding area, especially in winter, apparently. Today was sunny and 50, so I believe it's true.

I'll take two tickets to paradise....I mean Pueblo.

No comments:

Post a Comment